About Us

This blog is about how the world is viewed by the visual and the visually impaired. The intent of this blog is to bring the two worlds together. It is administered by two fabulous sisters, Toni, who is sighted and Robin, who became visually impaired in 2002 at the age of 18 due to misdiagnosis.



Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Out of Hibernation

To all of our beautiful readers, I apologize for the long period since I have last blogged, but I have been in hibernation. These last couple weeks I have been consumed with school work, my internship, and my new job. Well, don’t get too excited for me, my new job is only one day a week, but I guess it’s a start, right? So, piggybacking off of my sister’s recent post about Wal-Mart, I have another interesting story that I want to share with you. Like my sister’s story, this one also involves an incident at Wal-Mart. Well, it all started when my Mom and I went shopping at our local Wal-Mart when we were approached by a male shopper. The man stopped his basket and asked my Mom how old was I (Remember the blog when I talked about how some people do not talk directly to me, but instead to the person to whom I am with, well this was one of those situations). In response to the man’s question, I replied “I am 25.” In a shocked response, the man told me that I do not look like I am 25 and then he went on to ask me how much could I see. I answered his question and thought that was the extent to our conversation, but I was wrong. The man ended the conversation by saying “God bless and good luck kid.” I have to say that was one of the strangest interactions I have had from a perfect stranger. However, although the interaction was bizarre, I am use to strangers coming up to me when I am out in public. In fact, I could probably write a book on the various interactions I have had since the loss of my eyesight. With this said, since I have lost my eyesight, I have wondered if any other blind/visually impaired individuals have had similar situations to mine where strangers have approached them. If any of this sounds familiar, we would love to hear from you about the similar encounters you have experienced!

3 comments:

  1. I have had lots of weird encounters, and a lot more since I became a guide dog user 7 years ago. A lot of people ask me if my dog is in training because apprently I don't "look" blind to them. When they ask me how much I can see I always tell them I don't know, it's hard to describe. SOmetimes I wish I just had a pair of glasses that people could put on to see like I do, but until that day I'll just continue to deal with their questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin do you remember the encounter at the market? The lady saw you on Channel 7 News 15 Minute Difference and stopped us because she wanted to give you a hug. Also, the Pastor that we met in the lobby of the hotel we were staying in when we went to New Orleans that stopped us and asked how did you become blind and wanted to pray for you. Those were very nice and sweet encounters.

    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when you get members of the public that think blind people are deaf.

    I was walking throguh town one day using my cane and was like walking slowly couse the slowest school kids were in front of me, when they moved out of my way I proceeded to think them for doing so when 1 of them said. "How the heck did she know we were there or more importantly know we moved out of the way" Helo people we might not be able to see but we can hear, our othees senses do work...........

    ReplyDelete