About Us

This blog is about how the world is viewed by the visual and the visually impaired. The intent of this blog is to bring the two worlds together. It is administered by two fabulous sisters, Toni, who is sighted and Robin, who became visually impaired in 2002 at the age of 18 due to misdiagnosis.



Monday, April 27, 2009

It's All Good...

Robin is getting her groove back! This past Saturday Robin’s friend Stephanie had a get together for her birthday and Robin went! No big deal right? Wrong! This is a big deal because Robin is becoming more comfortable with hanging out. Before Robin lost her eyesight she was very outgoing and liked to hang out with her friends, but once she lost her sight that all changed. Robin would only go out with our mom, and her really good friends Lynn and Teresa from her middle school and Jennie and Curtis that she met her freshman year at Oklahoma Christian University; these were the people she felt the most comfortable around. I think I wasn’t a part of that list in the beginning because she either thought I wasn’t cool to hang around or she thought I would forget her and leave her somewhere lol! Which both are so untrue…well partially untrue! First, I am the coolest of cool and secondly, I’ve only forgotten Robin a few times lol! It registers quickly now that she’s blind and I’ve only left her for a second or two before I tell her to come on! We’ve been hanging out for 2 yrs now…yeah, yeah I know she’s been blind for 7 yrs...I know you’re probably thinking wow 5 yrs for her to trust to go out with you alone…I guess it took awhile for her to get over the New Orleans’s incident (see the very 1st post) lol! Anyway, she started going out with me and then she ventured out and went out with me and my friends (friends that she’s known for a while), then she began hanging out with a classmate Jessie on her own. Since she’s lost her sight she used to feel uncomfortable around groups of people that she didn’t know and would decline any invitations outside of her comfort zone, so it shocked me when she asked me to take her to Stephanie’s party. I was happy to take her and enjoyed seeing her have a good time. Slowly but surely she’s getting back into the groove of things and becoming comfortable in the life that she has as beautiful young woman who happens to be blind. I am so happy that Robin is blessed with really good friends that accept her for who she is; beautifully blind!

1 comment:

  1. Megan is experiencing the same things you describe Robin went through early on. Megan doesn't want to go out of the house without me (her mom). She doesn't go to her friends houses like she use to. She doesn't call her friends. She doesn't invite her friends over our house. She doesn't want to walk around with her friends at school, at social events like dances, at the little league park where her sister plays softball and all her friends play and hang out. She doesn't want to even be without me at her grandparents houses, or aunt and uncles and cousins houses. Megan doesn't want to be far from my side. So, as a result she is bored most of the time. I wish I could find a way to help her feel confident in others ability to guide her around. I know much of her anxiety is due to the fact that she often has to go to the bathroom. This is another condition since her illness. It is improved but still an issue. So, I know she won't truly feel comfortable with others until this issue is resolved because it's embarrassing asking your friends, or anyone really, to take you to the bathroom. I really appreciate reading though that what Megan is going through is common. That Robin went through the same thing and I can only assume others have as well. Thank you for sharing this post. It helps me to understand a bit better what to expect in the months and years ahead. Thank you and take care.

    ReplyDelete